Your professional ethics & standards
As a practitioner, you should:
- Maintain the highest possible standards of professional conduct.
- Be courteous and respectful towards clients, colleagues, and other professionals.
- Not gossip or criticise another therapist, salon, or brand.
- Not talk across a client to another member of staff.
- Not engage in conversations about politics, religion or race that may cause offence.
- Maintain a good reputation by setting an example of good conduct in all your communication with clients, team members and visitors to the business.
- Ensure to make the treatment or service special for every client.
- Have integrity & respect client confidentiality.
- Explain the treatment to the client and answer any questions and queries prior to carrying out the treatment.
- Always treat all clients equally and in a professional manner regardless of their race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, or ability.
- Not treat minors or clients with limited mental capacities, such as those with Alzheimer’s or dementia.
In addition, you should NOT treat:
- Anyone under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Under 18s for semi-permanent make-up REGARDLESS of parental consent.
- A client who is showing signs of poor mental health, high anxiety, or distress.
- A client who attends their appointment and is unwell but insists on having their treatment done with you. Rebook their treatment and maintain good practice and integrity.
- Anybody against your treatment protocol.
Practising good ethics is essential for the reputation of any therapist and the welfare of their clients.
The following is an example of standards and ethics for therapists:
- Conduct yourself in a professional, honest, and ethical manner.
- Promote professionalism.
- Establish a treatment plan with your client and evaluate the outcome at the end of every session.
- Truthfully represent your credentials, qualifications and education, experience, training, and competence relevant to practice.
- Maintain the confidentiality of the client.
- Take a full medical history of the client and ensure that they are suitable for treatment and the treatment is the best solution for their concerns.
- Give full pre & post treatment advice.